Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The Awesometeer vs The Oscar Nominees


This is just a quick little blog about my reactions to seeing the Oscar nominations.  For some background on me I tried not to see any of the movies with Oscar buzz because every year I attend an event held by AMC theaters where you can watch all Best Picture nominated movies.  Anyways here are my immediate thoughts and reactions to the nominees:

Sound Mixing:
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo – What is sound mixing?

Hugo – Is it layering sounds?

Moneyball – Like crowds cheering while Brad Pitt is talking?

Transformers: Dark of the Moon – This movie has the dumbest title ever

War Horse – I hope I don’t see this movie anywhere else

Sound Editing:
Drive – What is sound editing?

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo – What is the difference between sound mixing?

Hugo – I could google it but I am lazy

Transformers: Dark of the Moon – This movie better not win an Oscar

War Horse – Why is this movie here?

Visual Effects:
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 – It wasn’t magic?

Hugo – Better 3D then Avatar eh?  I need to see this in 3D

Real Steal – Rockem Sockem Robots the movie

Rise of the Planet of the Apes – Looked better then the remake

Transformers: Dark of the Moon – Why couldn’t you just put side in your title!?  UGH!

Makeup:
Albert Nobbs – Jack and Jill didn’t get nominated?

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 – Seriously Lord V. looks awesome

The Iron Lady – But she didn’t even look like iron.

Costume Design:
Anonymous – Is this the Shakespeare is a fraud movie?

The Artist – I wonder what color the costumes were?

Hugo – Movie has a good look to it

Jane Eyre – A period piece?  No way!

W.E. – Is that short for Wall-E?

Art Direction:
The Artist – Feel like I will be seeing this on here a lot.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 – Man, that is a long title

Hugo – This movies seems (from the previews) to have a really cool look to it

Midnight in Paris – sure, I guess, I dunno

War Horse – Every nomination this movie gets will make me more and more mad.

Cinematography:
The Artist – Guess it need to be good if there is no talking in it.

The Girl with the Dragoon Tattoo – Honestly I don’t know good cinematography really, I just notice bad cinematography.

Hugo – ok

Tree of Life – sure

War Horse – Got to get a good shot of the horse

Film Editing:
The Artist – I guess another nomination won’t hurt

The Descendants – What make editing good?

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo – Sometime when I picture editing I picture a guy with scissors cutting filmstrips

Hugo – Oh wow Hugo with another nomination.

Moneyball – Yay baseball!

Music (Original Song):
“Man or Muppet” (The Muppets) – First off best song in the movie.  So funny.  Secondly it was written by half of The Flight of the Conchords.  I want this to win.

“Real in Rio” (Rio) – No one cares

Music (Original Score):
The Adventures of Tintin – Yay I love Tintin and I love John Williams

The Artist – It better have good music

Hugo – So this movie isn’t about Hugo Strange

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy – ok

War Horse – No comment……

Documentary Feature:
Hell and Back Again – I hope its not a documentary about Ghost Rider

If A Tree Falls: A Story of the Earth Liberation Front – Sounds political

Paradise Lost 3: Purgatory – I didn’t see the first two

Pina – Colada

Undefeated – Did you say sports?  Looks like I will have to check this out

Foreign Language Film:
Bullhead – Minotaur

Monsieur Lazhar – Canada isn’t foreign, its America’s hat.

A Separation – Foreign films would be more popular if you didn’t have to read.

A Footnote – Heading

In Darkness  - Dayman AHHHHHHH Fighter of the Nightman AHHHHHHH

Animated Feature Film:
A Cat in Paris – Huh?

Chico & Rita – Wha?

Kung Fu Panda 2 – Umm…

Puss in Boots – Hmmm…

Rango  - Where is Tintin?

Actress in a Supporting Role:
Berenice Bejo (The Artist) – How on Earth do you say that name?

Jessica Chastain (The Help) – Great movie.  I am so happy to see nominations.

Melissa McCarthy (Bridesmaids) – So this is sorta like the Tropic Thunder/Robert Downey Jr. Thing

Janet McTeer (Albert Nobbs) – Sure, whoever you are (I don’t like things or people I don’t know getting nominated).

Octavia Spencer (The Help) – She was FANTASTIC!  She better win.

Actor is a Supporting Role:
Kenneth Branagh (My Week With Marilyn) – Who are you?  Where is Albert Brooks?

Jonah Hill (Moneyball) – This will make many people very upset.  Hey remember when he was in Superbad?

Nick Nolte (Warrior) – This is a great movie!  Everyone and their mom should see it.  I love this movie and I am so happy it got a nomination for something.

Christopher Plummer (Beginners) – I don’t like old people.

Max von Sydow (Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close) – See above.

Actress in a Leading Role:
Glenn Close (Albert Nobbs) – She sorta looks like Conan O’Brien in this movie

Viola Davis (The Help) – She was great in this movie.  Very happy for her.

Rooney Mara (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo) – Eww that’s Rooney Mara!?  Why is she so weird looking?

Meryl Streep (The Iron Lady) – Oh wow you are nominated…..

Michelle Williams (My Week With Marilyn) – She actually looks like she did a good job in this movie, too bad I will never see it.

Actor in a Leading Role:
Demian Bichir (A Better Life) – Who are you?  What is this movie?

George Clooney (The Descendants) – Oh wow you got nominated! Shocking (sarcastic tone)

Jean Dujardin (The Artist) – Not much of a reaction here, I just spent most of the time trying to say his last name.

Gary Oldman (Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy) – Cool, I really like Gary Oldman

Brad Pitt (Moneyball) – Yay for sports movies!

Writing (Adapted Screenplay):
The Descendants – There’s a book?

Hugo – No idea this was adapted

The Ides of March -  What’s this based off of?

Moneyball – This movie is nothing like the book

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy  - I need to start going to the library, no idea these were all adapted.

Writing (Original Screenplay):
The Artist – Must have been a short script

Bridesmaids – Best comedy of the summer.  I really hope they don’t make a sequel, Hangover 2.

Margin Call – Ummm ok…. Where did this come from?

Midnight in Paris – Wonder if Woody is still using a typewriter

A Separation – A foreign film?

Directing:
The Artist – I wonder if it was all quiet on set (get it?)

The Descendants – This movie looks good.

Hugo – Martian Scorsese, nah he probably won’t win

Midnight in Paris – Woody Allen is still alive?  How old is he?

The Tree of Life – Sure, why is this movie here?

Best Picture:
The Artist - I am not looking forward to this.  I am not sure that I can sit through another silent movie.

The Descendants - I am really looking forward to this movie.  Though I am still not sure to expect a dark comedy or a drama.

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close - I am so glad this got nominated.  I have not seen it yet but the previews look great and it wasn't getting much buzz so I thought it had no chance of getting nominated.  

The Help - I saw this movie in the summer.  Love it.  

Hugo - I try not to read to much about movies that are getting Oscar buzz so I don't really know anything about this movie other then everyone says it is amazing.

Midnight in Paris – ok

Moneyball - I am a huge baseball fan.  I love this movie, I read the book, and I am just happy to see it nominated. 

The Tree of Life - This movie seems so weird to me.  I am not sure what to expect at all.  I have heard so many mixed things and I do not even know what it is about.

Warhorse - Frick!!!!!! I do NOT want to see this movie.  This movie looks horrible!  Ugh!  The previews annoy me.  I do not want to see a movie starring a horse!  Why did this get nominated?


*** You may have noticed that none of the short nominees were mentioned.  That is because no one cares about them.  I hope you enjoyed this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment